[metaslider id=2951] … Read More
What should you expect from a next-gen endpoint protection solution?
Everyone knows that traditional antivirus isn’t enough to stop today’s advanced threats, so endpoint security vendors are hoping you’ll consider their “next-gen” solutions. But what exactly does “next-gen” mean, and what capabilities should you expect?
At Sophos, we believe next-gen endpoint protection means an integrated system of technologies that protect against all stages of an attack:
1. Prevention: Stopping malware before it can execute.
2. Detection: Identifying quickly when malware is deployed.
3. Response: Taking action instantly when malware is detected.
Let’s take a quick look at the capabilities your endpoint protection needs to counter threats at each stage.
1. Prevention: The defensive front line
Prevention focuses on stopping malware from ever reaching the device in the first place. Prevention capabilities can be broken down into exposure prevention and pre-execution defense.
– Web protection – can you block malicious webpages?
– Device control – which devices (e.g., USB drives) are allowed to access the endpoint?
– Download reputation – where does the file come from, do other machines in the organization use it?
– File analytics/HIPS – does a file contain code trying to modify the registry?
– Emulator – can you execute the file in a safe environment to test it?
2. Detection: Catching malware in the act
Detection uses a variety of methods to identify malware that has reached a device. A next-gen endpoint solution should have these run-time detection capabilities.
– Malicious traffic detection – are processes communicating with known threat locations (phoning home)?
– Memory scanning – is a file exhibiting behavior of known malware?
– Exploit detection – is the suspect process cataloging the memory of another process?
3. Response: Clean-up and analysis
Response capabilities should eliminate the malware and perform analysis to identify the entry point of the malware.
– Malware removal – can your endpoint solution remove the executable and other malware components?
– Root cause analysis – can it identify the malware’s origin to understand what was compromised?
Choosing a truly “next-gen” endpoint solution
Sophos experts have written a simple guide to explain why organizations like yours need next-gen endpoint protection. It also explains in straightforward terms the features that a next-gen endpoint solution should have, and how they keep your users and systems secure.